Thursday 14 July 2011

Cbeebies and other parenting aids

When I was pregnant with Rufus I swore I wouldn't allow my children to watch TV, they'd be sat with a book or drawing beautiful pictures for yours truly. Fast forward a couple of years and things are somewhat different.


While Rufus was an only child he was allowed to watch one or two programmes on cbeebies,but mainly the only things that would pacify him were Queen and Robert Plant videos. We justified this by telling ourselves that music aided development and with my husband being a musician all was good.

However, once Arthur was born and I was left on my own with a 16 month old and a newborn, our justifications went out of the window and it was cbeebies all the way. I wouldn't be able to do anything with Arthur or around the house if it weren't for cbeebies and to be honest my sanity would have taken a one way trip out of my life.

He doesn't sit in front of the TV (we don't actually own one, we watch iplayer on the laptop), he plays while dipping in, and it's certainly not on all the time, only when I need to deal with Arthur or to do some things round the house.

Like many things it's a double edged sword, the trade off being that although Rufus is satisfied mummy is sick of stupid Granny Murray and the creepy Claude, the Tweenies are beyond irritating and sometimes everything isn't Rosie. But there are some gems, Charlie and Lola (my husband thinks this is more for mummies than the children, maybe he's right, I haven't met a mum who didn't like it), Mr Tumble and the wonderful Timmy Time.

We still, however, watch/listen to lots of Queen and Led Zeppelin. The look on Ruru's face when Fool in the Rain or Breakthru begins is just beautiful and his unique limping dance is just priceless. Do I feel like a bad mum for allowing him to watch things? Of course not, Rufus is a well rounded, happy, playful and fantastic little boy.

6 comments:

  1. Love this post, cbebbies is a life saver when we need to get stuff done. And dont forget it's not like we are letting them watch corrie, cbebbies is educational, so whilst we are hoovering and cleaning they are learning something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love CBeebies in our house too. Even in the stuff I can't stand - I'm looking at you, Everything's Rosie - I can still see something educational for our one year old. The presenters are all brilliant too, something all other kids' TV channels could learn from. Oh, and Rastamouse is ace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I understand this. Don't feel terribly guilty over it. My kids actually outgrew the need to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cbeebies, a necessary evil, lol. I'm pretty sure my 5 year old didn't watch any telly until he was over 1. One of my 3rd child's first words was Octonauts ("Ock-nort!"). She's 18 months and squeals with delight when I switch it on. Of course we're not bad mummies, I just wish I hadn't read so much about how telly is so bad for them. Too much information, another evil!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We too are Cbeebies fans. Not of all the programmes - I'm not very keen on Abney and Teal but luckily neither is my daughter. She prefers Something Special and I can cook, which limits any guilt as they are very much educational!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. My daughter 7 still loves CBeebies she will watch the things I record on series record even when her 3 year old sister is busy playing. It is safe viewing and they learned so much from it. They both go/went to other groups, walk everywhere, play, help bake, do arty things - as far as I can tell well rounded girls. Cbeebies can be such a life saver. I don't care for Abney and Teal or Iggle Piggle and some other programmes but in a normal family home watching these and otehr things along with various activities playong alone or with friens or in a group is not harmful or bad in anyway (as long as there is a balance!).

    ReplyDelete