Friday 3 June 2011

Weekend, what's one of those...

There was a time when I would get so excited that Friday had finally arrived, the anticipation of two whole days off work, lie-in's, being able to drink copious amounts of Pinot Grigio Blush and not having to work with a dreaded hangover, shopping till I dropped - or my credit card melted, meeting friends for lunch/dinner/drink (delete as applicable) and being able to do exactly what I wanted, whenever I wanted to. That all seems like a distant memory and some days I wonder whether, in fact, I dreamt the whole thing.



It's Friday night and instead of sitting outside at St Katharine's Docks in London, admiring Eddie Jordan's latest superyacht, I am running between soothing my 18 month old who has decided to cry hysterically for no reason and soothing/changing/feeding my 5 week old, I am, quite frankly bloody knackered!

I no longer look forward to the weekend in quite the same way, now it's a case of being grateful that my husband will be home in order to share the stress, I mean joy, of our two beautiful boys.

I very rarely know which day of the week it is as all days tend to merge into one, I only know when it's Sunday and that's usually because we've run out of nappies so I have to make a mad dash to the supermarket, only to discover it closed at 4pm.

Don't get me wrong, I love being a wife and mummy and didn't know I could ever love so much, it's just nobody tells you how hard it's going to be, how much of yourself you have to sacrifice and that basically, you NEVER get a day off.

Here's to the weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Sometimes you get a day off.. then you spend the whole day missing the children! When they get to 16 it's easier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate! And I only have one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too true! Now for me it's all about weekends filled with soccer (football :D) and baseball games/practice. Sheesh! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely know where you're coming from being a mum of 3 myself. You should check out my blog, which is all about escaping the groundhog day of exactly what you're talking about! I would go crazy if I didn't have fun and different things planned to break up the monotony of the routine!

    ReplyDelete